Sunday, January 5, 2014

Surrender and Discipline

Today at church was one of those days when GOD really got my attention...no kidding.  I hadn't even truly realized just how far apart from HIM I had gotten.  I mean, how far from GOD can you go when you are in church every Sunday and your husband is the youth pastor?  But I had forgotten how big, how wonderful, how mighty, how awesome...how magnanimous our GOD is!  Opening song: Awesome GOD.

"The judgment and wrath HE poured out on Sodom
The mercy and grace HE gave us at the cross
I hope we have not too quickly forgotten
that our GOD is an awesome GOD"

So that got my toes curling with the power of GOD speaking directly to my soul like a giant "HELLO"!  And that was just the beginning.  Next song: From The Inside Out

"A thousand times I've failed
Still your mercy remains
Should I stumble again
Still I'm caught in your grace
Everlasting, your light will shine when all else fades
Never ending, your glory goes beyond all fame"

That was my answer.  And I went on to sing:

"Your will above all else
My purpose remains
The art of losing myself in bringing you praise"

The call to go deeper...HIS deep calling to my deep asking for me to give my all.  So I surrendered.

"In my heart, in my soul
I give you control
Consume me from the inside out
Let justice and praise
Become my embrace
To love you from the inside out"

No more shallow relationship with HIM.  No more hiding behind all the good things I have been doing to serve HIM.  HE wants my heart!  HE wants to be more to me than anything else, and all I have to do is simply let (allow, concede, enable, endorse, give, permit) it to happen.  I don't have to take any action at all...I surrender.

Surrender.

The sermon did not deal with surrendering.  That part had already happened during worship.  The pastor spoke on what comes after surrender happens.  Good intentions aren't enough.  Focus.  Plan.  Be Intent.  Discipline yourself.  Live as if GOD has given you a direct order (because HE has!) 

I stayed away from any resolutions this year, but GOD has directed me anyway.  Fresh starts and new beginnings...I guess moving to a new city wasn't enough.  HE is always calling deeper, not to demand more from you, but to have more of you.

We are okay, GOD and me.  And today is the new start to a very beautiful new level of relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment