Thursday, May 20, 2010

Time to Position

I've been busy this past week, and I'm talkin' busy from eye opening in the morning to tripping into bed 'cause my eyes are already closed at night. We've been moving heavy furniture and boxes and all that, so I am tired in ways I am not very often tired. Even a full workout - cardio, muscle strengthening, flexibility - is not as bone-tiring as what I've been up against.

I think King David got tired too. 2 Samuel says that it was the spring, the time when kings usually went out to make war. But King David had stayed home. I think he was tired of fighting, tired of marching, tired of the war tents and all the planning of battle. He just wanted a little break. Put his feet up a little longer than usual this year. Wait just a touch longer and see how well his men could do on their own - that's leadership building, isn't it?

But while he was resting (lazing) he spied Bathsheba and that was the end of the David we knew and loved.

Was he still a man of GOD? Yes. Was he still anointed? Yes. But he lost a lot of respect, especially from the man in charge of his army, Joab. He made comments that show his feelings toward King David (like you'd better come now before I defeat this army without you and name the town after myself). He was also not happy with the way King David manipulated the battle to kill Uriah (if he gets mad about the men we lost, tell him Uriah was killed too.)

Is taking a break bad then? No way! GOD invented rest and rested HIMself. HE made rest one of the top ten laws. But there is a time and a season for everything. The season for King David was to be a season of battle, a time for war, and he was supposed to be in place on the battlefield. But he wasn't in position at the right time, and he ended up in the midst of a scandal instead.

(I'm not slammin' King David - he is such an encouragement to me because he made these mistakes and still was described as a man after GOD's own heart. Good things even came from his marriage to Bathsheba, including the future king. Just thought I should add that little disclaimer - no judgment here.)

We need to learn to recognize the seasons - a time to work and a time to rest. A time for war and a time for peace. We need the wisdom to be in the right place at the right time so we're never in the wrong place at the wrong time (like David when he saw Bathsheba).

So even though I have taken a little break from moving to write this blog (and take a deep breath) I know there is more yet to be done. I will try to linger over my coffee (I have to be honest people!), but I will deliberately choose to position myself so that things can be put in place, boxes can be emptied, and my house can be a sanctuary instead of an example of chaos. (GOD help me find the right position! Grant me the wisdom!)

Guess the television will be the LAST thing I put in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment