Saturday, May 8, 2010

Position Details

GOD loves the details. How do I know? Because the Bible is full of them!

One detail I have read and missed a lot (okay, every time until today) happened just shortly after David defeated Goliath. You can look this up for yourselves in 1 Samuel 18. He was promoted in the army and put in charge of a lot of men. He was praised by the people. But in the midst of all this glory and honor and positioning, we got to see a detail - he still played the harp for King Saul.

This was a task he did while he was still a shepherd boy for his dad. It was his first job in the palace (even though he was already anointed to take over the kingship). It was a job for a servant. And yet David continued to play the harp after the promotion, after the glory, after the praise. When all the cheering was outside, he went in, kneeled before his king and harp, and played music in a servants role, a task he should no longer have been required to do.

See, I like this because it reminds me that I'm never too good to kneel. I'm never too mighty to serve, even in roles that I started out doing and have been promoted away from doing. I used to help out in the nursery when my baby was a baby (she's 10). But now that I'm one of the youth pastors, well, I still work in the nursery, still teach the children. They are the details that GOD loves to love.

I guess my thought is this: position is important only if you're kneeling.
GOD bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment