Thursday, June 10, 2010

Offensive Bait

Offense. That's one word with a brilliant realm of meaning. Just in my mind I picture football teams, strategy tables, armies, knights jousting, armor & swordplay, unforgiveness, bitterness, and white pickets - it's a fence after all (that last one is kinda random, I know, but that's just how my mind works). There are so many ways to define offense and so many shades within those meanings that it seems a little overwhelming to break it down into manageable chunks. So I'll focus on the churchy part, since that's what our ladies Bible study is focusing on for the summer.

We've started the book The Bait of satan (lowercase there is on purpose, people)and it's by John Bevere. It's basically about offenses, how easy they are to acquire, and the damage they do to our personal selves and our body as a whole. Since we've started this study, (two weeks ago) we've been pretty offended as a group (especially a group of ladies - you know I'm right!). One wise woman pointed out that we are not any more offended than before the study began, we are just more focused on the offenses and see them for what they are. Sure, I can buy that. But if we know they are there and see them for what they are, why do they still happen? Why isn't it any easier to disarm the enemy since we can clearly see his plans for division? Why are we such suckers for a good row? And why is forgiveness so hard?

Well, these are the things we're learning. Step one (see we skipped to the back of the book so we could get some basic tools to help us fight the bait of offense) is to recognize the offense. Sometimes we don't admit we are carrying it, sometimes we don't even know we are holding on to hurts. So we have to be aware. I think as a group we are there.

Step two is forgiving. Not always as easy to do as it is to spell. Sometimes GOD is gracious and takes all the pain, hurt, and anger straight out of our hearts so forgiveness is quick and painless. Most of the time, though, forgiving is a hard choice we must force ourselves to choose day-by-day, and sometimes even moment-by-moment. Keep in mind, too, that forgiveness is NOT an emotion and you won't feel like you've accomplished that task. Sometimes forgiveness involves actually thinking about what you are thinking about so you can catch those unforgiving thoughts before they become anchored in your brain again.

Step three I don't remember. But I hope you won't you be offended. I am still learning from this book and hope to take a lot more home with me than what you've seen so far.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this book for the second time and my husband and I are now doing it in our couples Bible Study. It was wonderful the first time around, but so much more eye opening now that we're doing it w/ the study. It can be frustrating because even though I've read through it once, I still feel like I'm battling it every bit as much as before, but as your wise friend pointed out, I am more aware of it and the fact that it is a sin and a trap that Satan uses often! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete