Friday, April 25, 2014

Cup of Sacrifice

I think my favorite part about church is the music portion.  There is just something so powerful about music, the way it can break through mental barriers and show you something new that you might not have thought of on your own, apart from its influence.  During worship like that, I think GOD has an easier time reaching me, helping me to learn or understand what HE is up to.  And it was while we were worshipping that I thought about HIS cup.
It was the week before Easter, Palm Sunday, and we sang a beautiful song by Kari Jobe, The More I Seek You.  The chorus goes like this:
"I want to sit at Your feet, drink from the cup in Your hand,
Lay back against You and breathe, feel Your heart beat
This love is so deep, it's more than I can stand
I melt in Your peace, it's overwhelming"
I was melting into HIM, just like we were singing.  It was such a sweet, tender, intimate moment between my Savior and me.  And as I sang the chorus again, my thoughts went to HIS cup. 
The cup of the Last Supper.  The cup HE asked James and John, the Sons of Thunder, if they were able to drink from it.  The cup Jesus begged GOD to take from HIM if there were any other way.  The cup of sacrifice.
My husband has an amazing sermon he shares about sacrifice and worship.  They are inextricable, you see.  There is no genuine worship unless it costs you something.  Sometimes it's time.  Sometimes, you may have to give up perspectives or previous beliefs.  Sometimes you have to give up an offense (forgiveness).  Abraham, in the very first act of worship, was willing to sacrifice his own son.  So worship, true worship, costs something.
 
As I pondered this, still hearing this beautiful song in my ears, I asked myself if I was really willing to drink from HIS cup.  I mean, HE didn't even want it!  I needed to really be sure I was willing to drink from a cup that would cost me so much.  And I asked myself, if I had to choose between the cup and having Jesus in my life, or not having to drink from the cup, but not knowing Jesus as my Savior, I would have to choose Jesus every time, no matter what. 
So knowing that, the depth of commitment and dedication, why am I so lazy, so lackadaisical, taking so much of this relationship for granted?  No More!  It is time to drink the cup of sacrifice, to lay down my desire to be in charge of my life, and to truly worship HIM with the sacrifice of my self.  There really is no alternative.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment