Thursday, March 3, 2011

Staying Home

I am a homeschooling mom and have been since my oldest turned five (she is almost twelve). I have actually been out of the workforce officially for 11 years! Since my husband was out of work for a temporary health issue, I had to update my resume and it shocked me that it has been over a decade since I brought home an actual, taxable paycheck. YIKES! Who would hire someone with that giant crater of a missing work history? But I learned a neat little trick to filling in the gaps from someone who helps people like me get back in the work force - you can include volunteer work! YAY! Problem solved (for me anyway - I have volunteered a lot at my church through the years).

But it did raise the question - why is it that being a stay-home mom makes people think you have all this spare time for all their other projects? Why do people think I am always at home? Why does staying home to run a household hinder your return to the workplace (it should be a benefit - think of all the different hats you have to wear as a full-time mom - wake-up call, maid, nanny, chef, secretary, office manager, day care provider, nutritionist, teacher, principal, repair AND maintenance, plumber, doctor, nurse, drywaller, painter, chef AGAIN, dishwasher, busboy, hostess, laundress, housekeeping, and all of it organized and efficient enough to fit inside of a 24 hour period and repeated EVERY DAY!!) With all of that experience I should be on every employers wish list!

So I am faced with a complete change of lifestyle for my family. Will I be the sole provider now, while dad does the homeschooling? Or perhaps we will send the kids to school and be a two-income family for a change? It's possible the husband will be able to provide as before once he is better, and then things will be as before, but I am realizing I am open to whichever direction GOD decides is best for the family. I wasn't always able to say that. I am glad I can now.

No comments:

Post a Comment