Saturday, March 8, 2014

Bean On My Tooth

   The other day I had some really great chili dogs.  Flavorful chili, melty cheese, onions that weren't too strong or too weak...just a really great chili dog.  It wasn't until about two hours later that there was a problem...no, not that
   I looked in a mirror and saw my tooth was completely browned out by the skin of a bean!  I groaned in horror and frantically tried to think of how many people I smiled at who would have seen my social gaffe.  Then, as my list grew longer and longer, I wondered why these people, whom I love and know well...why wouldn't they tell me I had an embarrassing problem??? 
 
   I had an epiphany...
 
   My tooth issue was similar to what we face with sin in our lives.  Sometimes we may not even know it's there.  But our loved ones may see it.  And then, for some reason, the people we love the most are too embarrassed to point out what we are doing wrong.  They let it go, hoping it will resolve on its own in a positive way.
   We all end up like the people in the story who were cheering for a naked emperor who was wearing 'new clothes'...where is that innocent voice declaring the truth of the situation?  Where are the courageous who know what is right and have no fear of recrimination?  Where are those who love enough to know that standing for what is right is worth more than watching what is wrong never fully resolve on its own? 

   Why couldn't my family tell me there was a huge thing stuck to my tooth???

   Maybe it was just about them wanting to giggle...

No comments:

Post a Comment