Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Bangs Look Good - Soooo GOOD!


First off, let me say I read this book with really high expectations. I follow Susanna's blog faithfully (it's on my home page) and her insight and humor have always brightened my heart. So when I received a copy of her book "My Bangs Look Good & Other Lies I Tell Myself," I couldn't wait to open it up and devour every word! I sat right down (okay, I made a cup of coffee and grabbed a cookie too - alright, two cookies!)

But then I couldn't get past the first chapter!

The truth that was in the very first pages hit my heart is such a deep and meaningful way that I had to set it down and digest what I had just read. Then I read that first chapter again (before I even peeked at the second chapter). Again, I laughed and cried (within minutes of each other) - confusing my kids, scaring the cats, and making my husband mutter something I didn't quite catch as he left the room.

The rest of the book was much the same. I couldn't get very far before I had to take a pause and reflect. Each chapter addresses a lie that we as Christian women (and tired supergirls!) sometimes fall for, even live by. Now I have been a Christian for (dare I saw it?) decades now and a youth pastor with my husband for nearly 15 years. I figured if I didn't have it ALL together, at least I had enough going right for me that I wasn't a total mess up and wasn't leading anyone in the wrong direction. And yet this book revealed some lies that I was totally snared by!

I am glad to say that I wasn't falling for every lie this book exposes (YAY!). But even those chapters that didn't address something I struggled with were still full of truth and wisdom (and funny, relatable stories!). Susanna's writing style is easy to follow and this book is witty, amusing, insightful, heartfelt, and feels like you're having coffee with your best girlfriend. (I guess it helps if you have coffee and cookies while you're reading it). You will laugh out loud (so I don't recommend reading it on a bus or subway) and you will probably shed a few tears as well (so keep that in mind when reading near your husband).

This is a wonderful book and you will want to have a copy for yourself so you can read it over and over again, and then you'll also want a copy to share with friends so you can all discuss it over coffee and cookies (I see a theme already!)


"My Bangs Look Good & Other Lies I Tell Myself" by Susanna Foth Aughtmon

"Available now at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."


Or to find the book on Amazon click here: http://www.tinyurl.com/goodbangs

And click here to find Susanna's amazing blog "Confessions of a Tired Supergirl": http://tiredsupergirl.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment